• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Motorola SP Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbineone

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Trying to see what kind of SP radios people have seen (1990's and up). I saw a radio marked Astro-X used by the Secret Service around 2003 it was a tall lunchbox type setup that I think was built around an Astro Spectra. Please no fpp Spectra sightings !

S

syntrx

Not quite 1990's, but close: 1989.

SP303 secure Saber, sold mainly to the Australian police market but the Royal Australian Navy had quite a few of them as well.

99 channels, with channel selection via the keypad. Instead of a 12-position channel selector on top it had a 2-position talkaround switch marked "LOCAL". Hardware wise, it was an otherwise standard 6D (I think) Saber III.

No MDC1200 or any other fancy features, and it required special "AUSSP Saber" RSS to program but if so desired you could slam a US Saber codeplug into it, break the mechanical stop on the channel selector and turn it back into a normal Saber.

I'll try and get some pics up here if I can dig one out over the weekend.

kc7gr

WA State Patrol had a doozy: Syntor X9000 SP06. The X9000 radio drawer had a mini-UHF connector poking out the front, just below the handle, which was tied to a receive-side passive antenna splitter mounted near the audio output transformer. Add to this a Spectra receive-only chassis (no two-pin power plug or power amp) dedicated to the 'area' frequency and running off this extra antenna connector, all of which was operated by a single X9000 control head (A9, of course), and it meant special firmware and RSS.

We're on APX's now. Much easier to work with.

Keep the peace(es).

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I've got a CHP MICOR control head, cable & mic. Microphone has a dual PTT in it - one side for STATION, one side for CAR. Control head has special labels on the front of it as well as a singletone card in it, and it was also modified by GE with controls for the "extender" (GE VRS).

I also have an SP MX350 that has two banks of 12 channels in it, with an "A/B" switch to switch between banks. Has a dual purpose switch on top, one side is MONITOR, the other side is EMERGENCY. It has MODAT signaling in it. Came out of New Jersey if I remember correctly. UHF 440-470MHz. Still use it on the amateur band from time to time.

I have a JEDI PSM with 3 side buttons on it (one orange, two black), out of Europe.

S

syntrx

I have a JEDI PSM with 3 side buttons on it (one orange, two black), out of Europe.

NMN6242?

These were very popular in the UK, they were used by pretty much every police force over there. It works pretty well on VHF with the Visar stubby.

Speaking of Jedi PSMs, I have an NMN6193BSP01. Only difference between this and the standard model was factory cut black vinyl decals over the Motorola logos on the mic. It was from the 2000 Sydney Olympics, where for sponsorship reasons the Olympic XTS3000s all had Samsung logos and the batwing was not meant to be seen.

N4KVE

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
NMN6242?

Speaking of Jedi PSMs, I have an NMN6193BSP01. Only difference between this and the standard model was factory cut black vinyl decals over the Motorola logos on the mic.
I wonder if these are the mikes seen on "Blue Bloods", as they are Motorola mikes w/o the name? GARY

Avery Johannssenn

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
It was from the 2000 Sydney Olympics, where for sponsorship reasons the Olympic XTS3000s all had Samsung logos and the batwing was not meant to be seen.

I still want to see one of those Sydney XTS3000s

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I've got a CHP MICOR control head, cable & mic. Microphone has a dual PTT in it - one side for STATION, one side for CAR. Control head has special labels on the front of it as well as a singletone card in it, and it was also modified by GE with controls for the "extender" (GE VRS).

I also have an SP MX350 that has two banks of 12 channels in it, with an "A/B" switch to switch between banks. Has a dual purpose switch on top, one side is MONITOR, the other side is EMERGENCY. It has MODAT signaling in it. Came out of New Jersey if I remember correctly. UHF 440-470MHz. Still use it on the amateur band from time to time.

That CHP Micor was a pain in the butt, HUGE. I still have mine with the GE Master Exec out in the garage somewhere. You could go broke feeding it channel elements.

M

mtp850

image.jpg
I still want to see one of those Sydney XTS3000s

No problem, I'm back home on Friday and will post a pic of one next to my monitor showing p25.ca on it ;) I have one packed away.

KC7GR, sounds like your over in WA ? I'm over here at the moment and its bloddy HOT.

anyone for 42degrees in the air on the coast of WA ?

Last edited:

kayfox

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Speaking of Jedi PSMs, I have an NMN6193BSP01. Only difference between this and the standard model was factory cut black vinyl decals over the Motorola logos on the mic. It was from the 2000 Sydney Olympics, where for sponsorship reasons the Olympic XTS3000s all had Samsung logos and the batwing was not meant to be seen.

Ah yes, the Olympics, where ****tons of logos get to meet gaff, electrical and masking tape.

S

syntrx

No problem, I'm back home on Friday and will post a pic of one next to my monitor showing p25.ca on it ;) I have one packed away.

KC7GR, sounds like your over in WA ? I'm over here at the moment and its bloddy HOT.

anyone for 42degrees in the air on the coast of WA ?

Umm.

You're in this WA:
wa.gif

He's in this WA:
wash.gif
wash2.png

Astro Spectra

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
@mtp850/CBUS, it would be great if you would post those pictures here please as not everyone is a Batboard member ....

Last edited:
M

mtp850

@mtp850/CBUS, it would be great if you would post those pictures here please as not everyone is a Batlabs member ....

I will do next friday as I only have access to an IPAD for internet unless someone else can do it for me?

Astro Spectra

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
Thanks syntrx and thanks mpt850 ... will take that as a formal copyright release ... that is a real keeper!

Last edited:

WQNV648

Prolific Contributor
I heard after the whole Samsung deal for the Sydney Olympics, Motorola went to the IOC and they made them an official "radio communcations partner" for the Olympics...

Status
Not open for further replies.