• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Mototrbo mobile - how manually enter boot mode (flashzap)

Status

trbofan

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Hi!

Anyone knows how manually enter flashzap mode in mototrbo mobiles? Service manual doesn`t describe how to do it but it says that it`s possible. In handheld radios, pressing PTT + EMG and powering up, enables flashzap. But on mobile, I`ve tryied every button + PTT with no effect! Any ideas?

t95mwp

I am wondering why did you need to that manually,because you can`t gain anything with that mode unless you are updating new firmware.

OP
T

trbofan

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Simply, if You have corrupted radio, You need to manually put it into bootstrap and flash new firmware/codeplug as it service manual describes, but in sm there is no info about manual bootstrap in radios.

OP
T

trbofan

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Anyone knows how to manually enable flashzap in DM3xxx radios?

t95mwp

Well if you got corrupted radio then you can use recover option in the CPS to recover radio to default mode.

Forts

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Did anyone ever have any success figuring this out?

t95mwp

The only way to do it is use the recovery option in the cps as far I know or reflash firmware again.

Forts

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Nice! I'll take a look at that!

S

satfrx

Not Registered
Did anyone try the microphone on-hook and PTT pressed at turn on?

Or the PTT button in combination with any frontpanel button?

Forts

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I tried PTT + front buttons... no joy. Haven't investigated anything via the accessory port.

S

satfrx

Not Registered
Did you also investigate the mike-on-hook ant PTT otogerther at turn-on?

On hook can be a metal conductor between the mike mouning "ring" and metal plate on the mike body. Or the back mounting "ring" contact to the chassis.

Forts

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
No I didn't try with the mic on hook, only off. I'll give on hook a twirl tonight.

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
IIRC this can be accomplished using a "boot clip" on the accessory port. I don't know what the pin combination is, but I think the focus should be on the accessory port rather than the microphone or front panel.

S

satfrx

Not Registered
The accessory connector is indeed the way one would think with motorola radio's.
Older (conventional) models use a boot-pin as well.

Since Hytera uses a top-button and PTT on its portables, and ptt button + on-hook in on the mobiles, I thought it might be worth to try.

Accessory pinouts on the web did not provide an immediate clue to what pin could be boot-control.
accon.jpg

The word boot-clip could indicate some 1-wire device, as we find in the programming cables, could connect to one of the APM contacts to put it into boot mode.
D119, do you have access to such a clip, it would be nice to see if it connects to one of the APM contacts, if it does so, it would be nice to get a read-out of the device.

S

satfrx

Not Registered
To KD8EYF, I don't quite get the trbofz...

It seems to be linux, a boot to flashzap command looks like it is sent to an IP number...
As far as i know the mototrbo radio with its usb programming lead should connect to a windows machine.
How to work with the trbofz?

I also did see your attempt to build a CPS, sorry to hear big M and its friends did not like your ideas.....

radio313

Prolific Contributor
you will need to plug in the radio to the linux comuter
download the binary..
then execute ./trbofz <ip address of radio>
the radio will then reboot to fzmode

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Well I wouldn't think some experimentation with D+, D-, APM1 and APM2 would do any damage. Obviously you want to try pulling those pins to ground one at a time, or in various combinations.

I don't have a boot clip, nor do I have access to one. I saw one in passing, and if I recall correctly it was nothing more than an accessory plug with a couple (maybe three at most? I don't recall) wires tied together. I don't recall there being any other components to it, I would've remembered that. I didn't have much interest in it, I simply asked what it was and was told that it was for putting the repeaters into bootstrap mode.

That being the case, one would naturally assume this would work with mobiles as well. It can't be a big secret. Grounding data lines seldom results in any permanent failures, I'd experiment and see what you come up with.

Last edited:

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The accessory connector is probably the place to look. The Vertex mobile has a much simpler and earlier bootloader operating off of the same basic firmware. It will NOT operate from the rear connector for programming if a mic is attached at the front, indicating to me that the rear connector takes precedence.

Status