RD982 Beep

Status

Muxlow

Banned, Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do, what
Have a VHF RD982 and after about 15 mins of chit chat on the repeater im getting a loud BEEP sound on the RX when another user talks. After the repeater is left alone for a hour or so and you key up and start yapping the been happens again a few times during a 30 second transmission

Has latest firmware and software in it. Being used in DMR mode currently. Tried asking a hytera tech who speaks very good chinese not sew gwrood ingwish.

So here i am here :)

Have semi access to the site so could go have a look and see what it is, but that takes a few days to get access to it. Im thinking its some kind of alarm? Have the fan always on, power is at 30w and is a single site (will be IP site connect in a week or so with 2 other RD982's)

mss-dave

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I don't think I have ever heard any of my 982s emit a beep on a alarm condition, locally or over the air. I have a new one on the bench that I will verify that though. If you are going to the site, look at front panel display upper left for red alarm light. Even better, take your computer and a programming cable. If you do not have Hytera RDAC program, let me know and I can link it for you. RDAC allows you to see all functions of the repeater (well, most...) and you can also look at alarms that are current or stored. That would give you a history if the repeater is truly in a alarmed condition with a time stamp. Most common are VSWR and over/low voltage. If you have VSWR alarm, check match from the TX port to input of the duplexer or antenna if you are running split antennas. I have seen a few that are pretty aggressive on alarming say 1.6:1 VSWR. Also make sure your power supply isn't breaking down after long duty cycles of TX.

I'm almost thinking the beep you hear though is being sent by another user. Is is the same person you talk to when the beep happens or different users?

If you are linking to other sites, do you have IP connectivity to the repeater now? If so, you might could connect via RDAC remotely if things are setup correctly now.

OP
Muxlow

Muxlow

Upgraded from a XPR8300 to this repeater so we can IP site connect our other 2 sites. No internet there right now yet.
Will be adding a desktop pc with the cable connected to the repeater so can access it anytime to make repeater changes, would of been handy if the internet was working at this place but.. not for a week or 2

Sooo ill have to go have a peek over the weekend i think and see what the issue is. Brand new power supply with battery backup, antenna is all good from the XPR so cant see it being that. So far only me and the boss man on this site. Its a 1 second long beep and happens after 10 mins or so of us using the repeater. I hear it when he talks after 10 mins or so, and he hears it when i talk. Its not every transmission either.. sometimes ill hear it twice from his end then nothing for a few transmissions and then hear it once.. and then wont hear it again for a while. Sooo not sure till i get over and check with rdac

OP
Muxlow

Muxlow

Made it to the site yesterday. Read with RDAC and seems its an SWR alarm.. so strange since we never had a swr alarm when the XPR was there, just unplugged and swapped out.
UGH! Now this means some more investigating :)

mss-dave

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Made it to the site yesterday. Read with RDAC and seems its an SWR alarm.. so strange since we never had a swr alarm when the XPR was there, just unplugged and swapped out.
UGH! Now this means some more investigating :)
Did you actually check the SWR between the radio transmitter and the duplexer or antenna? Like I said some of the repeater SWR alarms are more aggressive than they should be. If it seems more aggressive you can always disable the SWR alarm and it will not do that anymore. Of course, if you truly have a high reflected power from wherever the transmitter is hooked to you need to investigate that. If it's the input to a duplexer I have on occasion put a circulator between the transmit output and the input of the duplexer.

mss-dave

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Another thought but it'll take some time. There's a small possibility that after long Duty Cycles the power amplifier maybe going spurious. That would cause a high reflected power from the duplexer because of the wide signal. Since it's a new repeater I would not anticipate that but there's always a first time. I used to have that problem on the old Motorola 900 Meg paging station's when the amplifiers would start to fail. High reflected power from the band pass cavity would come back into the circulator load and generally just burn it slap-up. You have to sit at the site with a spectrum analyzer and key that thing out for a long period of time to see if that would be the issue

OP
Muxlow

Muxlow

Im thinking its just a sensitive machine as the XPR had no SWR alarms in rdac and the hytera has been doing it since day 1. Might just uncheck that ole box. Im on a remote island and will have to wait for the boss man to come out here with his meter to test it

Beep is only happening on 1 talkgroup as we set that group to send alarms and such to apparently, so the 4 companies on the repeater dont hear that. (Didnt know that was a thing as im new to the hytera world. Been a moto fella forever and now dipping into hytera)

System has been on the air since 2001, went TRBO 2 years ago and swapped out the xpr for the hytera and getting the alarms so im sure its just a picky machine. But like i said being on a remote island will take some time before the meter can make it out here. IP site connect is working via a cellular usb stick

Status