RoIP gateway uses?

Keith

Question to the masses. I have a single JPS NX2U and a single Telex IP-223. What if anything can single units be used for? Is there a PC or R-Pi software that will enable using them as a remote radio connection or something of that nature or are they not much good without another one of each and then being used as intended? Any idea's or thoughts are appreciated.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Frankly I would try to swap the NX2U for another IP-223.

I have seen a single IP-223 which has two circuits, looped back on itself at IP to make for a cross link between two co located 800 MHz conventional mutual aid channels during rebanding. No other hardware needed.

The IP-223 can be used with IP console SW that is available from Bosch Telex. There are probably other solutions available from 3rd party.

phonebuff

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
@Keith, Really depends what you are trying to do. the NXU2 has a PC NXU component and you can make a very nice remote dispatcher by combining a donor radio, NXU and PC-NXU, in fact I have done a few for WFH solutions this past year as one ups.

On the other hand as @RFI-EMI-GUY said, the IP-223 now replaced by the IP-224 is a very functional component of the Telex Bosch distributed console solution including the Windows based CSoft product and handset console like the IP-2002. But you are in a whole different category of solution and dollars.

So before to much more gets posted in this thread, maybe you should define the problem that the solution is looking for..

OP
Keith

Keith

I am looking to see if there are any projects that are low cost that either of these will fit into. Neither of course will directly communicate with the other, so just hooking them together and using them as originally intended isn't really an option. I wasn't sure if anyone had played with either of the units as a radio interface with Asterisk, ALLStar or anything of that nature. I agree with gentleman that said it would be better to have two IP-223 units, as they have dual interfaces where the JPS only has one. I figured I would ask before tossing them on eBay or something of that nature as they just sit on a shelf right now. As far as implementing them as a console system, I really don't have much interest in that path with them. I currently have a 4 cage Gold Elite with 4 CIE's , a 2 cage Gold Elite with B&L and CIE Op's and several pieces of a MIP that may or may not get built out at some point.

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
JPS has PC-NXU that you can dl after registering at their support site. It allows a Windows machine to tx/rx through a NXU-2A.

A single IP-223 can be used as a repeater panel by tying two radios together through the built in crosspatch accessed through a web browser.

Both products require you build your own cables between the device and the radio. There are very few off the shelf cables available. If you are allergic to RTFM, neither product will be a good choice.

OP
Keith

Keith

I will take a look at the PCNXU utility. That has some use to me either way as I support a number of these out in the field and being able to test them with the software locally would be handy. As far as connecting radio's together and running them as repeaters via the 224. Sorry, but that sounds WAY too hammie for me.

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
I will take a look at the PCNXU utility. That has some use to me either way as I support a number of these out in the field and being able to test them with the software locally would be handy. As far as connecting radio's together and running them as repeaters via the 224. Sorry, but that sounds WAY too hammie for me.

It actually works pretty good. With only one to play with, your options are limited. But, with several, you suddenly have a hard crosspatch for several divergent systems whether for an emergency, or just S&G's. And you can properly set levels, PTT hyteresis, etc, etc.

OP
Keith

Keith

Yep, and I can also remote at least the RX /TX audio for a CIE with one until I get the ROCI CORI stuff worked out for running it across a network connection.

Reactions: ndp

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
Yep, and I can also remote at least the RX /TX audio for a CIE with one until I get the ROCI CORI stuff worked out for running it across a network connection.

Depending on the vintage, ROCI/CORI need modems between them. It's just serial.

OP
Keith

Keith

Depending on the vintage, ROCI/CORI need modems between them. It's just serial.
Yeah, the audio is simple enough to ship over IP. I was planning on trying to ship the serial data across R-Pi's. There is an app that will allow you to setup a tunnel of sorts between two Pi's that basically connects the serial ports on them. If that will work, I will run with that or look at getting proper hardware. I do that a number of TenSR channel banks that are E&M and RS232 so that may be an option as well. My tower site is currently unheated and working on that project is on hold due to the less than desirable temps in the building. I guess that's a really polite way of saying I don't have enough motivation to freeze my nuts off to make this all work.