• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

SABER Charging the Honeywell H8818-Li battery an adventure

Status

RFI-EMI-GUY

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
UPDATE: It appears my smart charger felt the batteries were taking too long to charge from 13 years of rest and so after 6 hours turned off. I have one back in the charger and it is at 8.15 Volts and rising. So please feel free to skip down to my questions 2 and 3 as pertains to these batteries:

Thanks to a kind benefactor responding to my plea for Dead Or Alive short SABER batteries, I have received two new old stock Honeywell H8818-Li batteries. When received the terminal voltage was 0V on both. I have no proper charger for this battery, that I am aware of.

I checked with my VOM and found that there is DC continuity from the + terminal on the charging terminals to the + terminal on the radio terminals. There is no protection diode between the two as with NICD and NIMH batteries. This indicated to me that the designers were either dumb or smart by including a protection board that provides re settable short circuit protection. I found no continuity on pin T the thermistor pin. On pin C the charge rate pin I found a diode junction.

I used a home brew pocket charger I built which includes a chip (MCP73213) for charging two lithium ion batteries in series. I have been using this charger to charge my lithium ion batteries that utilize two Tenergy 18650 cells in series faithfully to 8.4 volts.

The result is that both Honeywell H8818-Li batteries charge to 7.70 and the charger stops. So far indications are that the batteries have accepted a charge and they operate under TX just fine. However I would like to make sure I am charging to the highest SOC.

Questions:

1) Has anyone seen this phenomenon? Is it a limitation of the cells (possibly series parallel LiPO packs inside?) , a limitation of the protection board inside? Can I safely charge with a simple unregulated Saber Pocket charger to gain a higher SOC? (Update: Its fixed)

2) What kind or model charger were these aftermarket batteries supposed to utilize?

3) What is stopping me from dropping into my standard slope front rapid charger (despite fear)

Last edited:
OP
RFI-EMI-GUY

RFI-EMI-GUY

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Thanks. Is there an insert needed?

N4KVE

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Thanks. Is there an insert needed?
Yes. A small insert on the left side of the charger because the battery is narrower from right to left vs a full size Saber battery. These will usually not come with used chargers you may see on the surplus market. But I did buy an Astro Saber from a guy years ago, & since he did include the Honeywell battery, the tri chem charger did have the adapter. I glued it into the charger so I would not lose it. GARY.

Status