• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Saber to MX Adapter

Status

Gtaman

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Anyone have pics and/or a part number for it. My battery for my KVL is nearing EOL and I’m wanting to use a “newer” battery.

Would it be possible to rip the guts out of an old saber and build an adapter myself?

Thanks!

RFI-EMI-GUY

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Sounds like a lot of work especially as Saber batteries are hard to get.\

I had same problem and as it happens I walked into an estate sale here in Central Florida at the home of a former federal radio tech. I found in a box of odd cables and an MX300 battery eliminator that had been electrically damaged. So I gutted it and installed a PC board I made with three CR123 lithium battery holders, in series and a recessed switch. The T3011DX does not need to have power to maintain memory so you don't need to waste battery "powering it".

If you have an old MX battery you can gut it by cutting with a jewelry saw at the bottom and remove the NICD cells. You options are 3 CR123's or two rechargeable Lithium Ion cells in series. You will need an 8.4V charger.

You can always stuff a 9V battery in the gutted MX battery housing. But be sure to remove it as it will drain quickly.

RadioSkaf

Contributing Member
According to an old BatLabs thread I found, there was no part number for this adapter. I might have to check a few manuals to confirm or infirm this.

I agree 100% with the entirety of RFI-EMI-GUY's post on this one, this conversion would be a lot of work for a "diminishing return", given the age of the Saber line (unfortunately)...

That link might be useful for some ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7aVuxkcWPU

RFI-EMI-GUY

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Thanks for the video! The OEM packs are going to take some sawing to open.

The saber batteries I have done were opened at the bottom. The process the same. I did replace the battery charge diode with a magnetic reed switch and use a modified pocket charger with a magnet on the side as a charging cup.

I am doing a short battery today using smaller 2000 mah cells. I am going to use the reed switch charge terminal as well as a tiny coaxial charge jack so I can use a small 8.4. V LITHIUM ION wall charger.

OP
Gtaman

Gtaman

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Good deal. I have one MX battery that was repacked in 2011. It was just glued together so I’ll do some surgery later this week.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
This is the latest SABER battery I have nearly finished. I used brand new Panasonic NCR18500 cells. The BMS circuit I am not crazy about as even though the MOSFET has very low resistance, the tiny board layout introduces some ~ 0.300 ohm IR drop. The next build I intend to look into bypassing the over-current protection from the BMS (wiring direct to negative pole) and let it protect charge instead. As it is, it is probably far better series resistance than a string of 6 NICD batteries, so it is good enough.

I installed a coaxial DC jack to accept an 8.4 V lithium charger from ebay seller radioshop888. It works great. The reed switch gives me the option to use a modified drop in pocket charger that I use for two other modified batteries.

The biggest hassle is making sure not to short anything while assembling.

A piece of small diameter solder wire can get pretty hot if it drapes across the terminals, ask me how I know!

P1180004.jpgP1180003.jpgP1180002.jpgP1180001.jpg

Status