[SEPURA] PTT Delay after releasing button

USAfirefighter

Hello Everyone

I'm pretty new to Sepura radios and started programming them using the Radio Manager 2.
The odd thing, that most changes I make, won't always show in the radio itself. But that's a topic for its own.
A major problem I experience is a delay after I release the PTT button. Once I release the button, the call persists for about 3 seconds and then drops or I drop it manually.
I have been through all setting but can't tell which is causing this 'problem'.

Can anyone help me out here?
Let me know if you need further details or an export of my current programming parameters.

Thank you guys in advance!

ffr58kk90

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Hello Everyone

I'm pretty new to Sepura radios and started programming them using the Radio Manager 2.
The odd thing, that most changes I make, won't always show in the radio itself. But that's a topic for its own.
A major problem I experience is a delay after I release the PTT button. Once I release the button, the call persists for about 3 seconds and then drops or I drop it manually.
I have been through all setting but can't tell which is causing this 'problem'.

Can anyone help me out here?
Let me know if you need further details or an export of my current programming parameters.

Thank you guys in advance!
Hi,

The issue you have with the PTT, I take it you are in DMO mode? if so, depending on how the radio is configured that may be normal, after release of the PTT there is a 'hang time' which allows other callers to use the talkgroup, i'm not sure if that is configurable, but I suspect it is, it's been a while since I used RM2.#
Regarding the other issue, i.e. changes that you make not showing in the radio it could be one of the many ofddities about the way RM2 works.
When making the change in the template, (product, profile etc), save the template, then when you build the batch, make sure that you select the correct version.
From memory, the default version is 'historic'. you need to make sure that it is set to 'active' otherwise it will not reflect the change because it uses the previous saved version.
When editing the template, RM2 copies the current template to a new version, you then edit the new version, when you save the template and program a radio, it then becomes the active version which is then used for all subsequent programming until you next make a change and the process repeats.
It's a really odd way to do things, and has caught people out many many times, the other thing to be aware of, once you have programed a few (different) radios, the templates become 'locked' and you cannot then edit those versions of the templates, you have to create a new version and edit that.
It's all to do with change control, probably brilliant if you have 10,000 radios to program and seldom make any changes, but useless if just a couple and you make regular changes.

Hope that helps, as I say it's been a while since I used RM2, I personally hated the Sepura programming software, right from the old engineering tool through RM1 and RM2 nothing was straightforward, the Motorola stuff I found much easier to get around.

Regards
Tony

OP
U

USAfirefighter

Hi,

The issue you have with the PTT, I take it you are in DMO mode? if so, depending on how the radio is configured that may be normal, after release of the PTT there is a 'hang time' which allows other callers to use the talkgroup, i'm not sure if that is configurable, but I suspect it is, it's been a while since I used RM2.#
Regarding the other issue, i.e. changes that you make not showing in the radio it could be one of the many ofddities about the way RM2 works.
When making the change in the template, (product, profile etc), save the template, then when you build the batch, make sure that you select the correct version.
From memory, the default version is 'historic'. you need to make sure that it is set to 'active' otherwise it will not reflect the change because it uses the previous saved version.
When editing the template, RM2 copies the current template to a new version, you then edit the new version, when you save the template and program a radio, it then becomes the active version which is then used for all subsequent programming until you next make a change and the process repeats.
It's a really odd way to do things, and has caught people out many many times, the other thing to be aware of, once you have programed a few (different) radios, the templates become 'locked' and you cannot then edit those versions of the templates, you have to create a new version and edit that.
It's all to do with change control, probably brilliant if you have 10,000 radios to program and seldom make any changes, but useless if just a couple and you make regular changes.

Hope that helps, as I say it's been a while since I used RM2, I personally hated the Sepura programming software, right from the old engineering tool through RM1 and RM2 nothing was straightforward, the Motorola stuff I found much easier to get around.

Regards
Tony
Hey Tony

First off, thank you very much for your time and dedication you've put into your response to my question.
That is a good hint with the template version selection within the batch creation. Though I haven't really figured that out yet, as for the templates, 'Active' had been selected. RM2 seems more like trail and error, rather than a structural approach. However, I did find an option about the hang time, but I haven't tried the setting yet, as the affected radio is with my friend. And yes, I am in DMO.
Anyway, thank you so much again for your help!
You definitely took us further.

Best wishes!
Dominic