Single Site Trunking Help

tbiggums

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Looks like you're getting close. You might try and get a hold of a managed ethernet switch and set the Quantar ports for 10M half duplex, and the SC ports to match whatever they're set for. They never used Auto Negotiation on any of those ports for Astro system components. You can still set the other ports for Auto and connect your PC or whatever to those. An HP 2610 switch is what Motorola used, and they're probably cheap on the used market now.

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I think I have an extra Cisco sitting in the house,. But, I have no idea how to program IOS :eek: If after the tune up, I still have issues, I'll try a managed switch. Only thing is, I don't see a network setting in the PSC. I guess I might need to play around with some setting on the managed switch for that.

I am close, but no cigar yet :)

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I can't freaking believe this. My 2670 won't boot. Like, WTF. I have other service monitors, but thats been my go to for years. Arggggggg.

Reactions: ndp
OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I was able to get the 2670 working. Tuned the quantars up (except for "Modulation" because I can't figure out the settings to see the waveform), and tried again, and the same thing happened, the first quantar crashed, and rebooted. The controller then brought up Quantar two as a control channel. Waited, and the same thing happened. Thinking that maybe the Quantars were crashing because I had the power output set to 20 watts, I bumped all of them up to 50. I think, coincedentally, when I tried again, the CCs came up for about 60 seconds each, before they crashed.

I think I need to try a managed switch next. After that, I am fresh out of ideas.

Last edited:
OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Was finally able to get the modulation all squared away on all the units. Tried again, but still the CC drops after about 60 seconds now. But, I am able to key up on the system now, and the voice channel transmits as expected, which is good news. I also monitored the reference signal from the PSC, thinking that maybe its dropping, and that was causing the CC to drop, but that wasn't it. I also tried using only Quantars 2 and 3, with 2 being set as the CC, thinking that maybe Quantar 1 has a problem. But just like with Quantar 1, it dropped the CC after about 60 seconds.

I bought a managed switch, hope it gets here over the weekend and resolves my issues. Its so close I can almost taste it.

tbiggums

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Does the Quantar reboot when the control channel stops transmitting?

I'd be curious what the Quantar log files show, but I can't remember if they get cleared out on reboot. Maybe try and have CSS open and connected to the CC Quantar with the Status Panel screen open while it's transmitting and watch for what turns red. Also, connect your PC's serial port to the Quantar's serial port and run PuTTY or similar (19200 baud) and see if it spits out any serial data messages when it stops transmitting.

tbiggums

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Oh, and did you set the NTP IP address in the Quantars to be your SC IP address(es)? The Quantars want to get NTP time updates from the SC's. That's done through one of the CSS menus (no serial connection needed).

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Oh, and did you set the NTP IP address in the Quantars to be your SC IP address(es)? The Quantars want to get NTP time updates from the SC's. That's done through one of the CSS menus (no serial connection needed).
I did not. In looking through the code plug, I am not sure how to set it up. On the Quantars, I can't find anywhere to enter the PSC IP for the Quantar to use it as the NTP. On the configuration screen, I see the ability to choose "Time Reference," either "Independant from the Freq Ref" or "None." It is currently set to none.

On Tools >Manager/NTP Definition, the table is empty, and there is no way to add any IPs on that screen. On Tools > Set Device Date and Time, "Enable NTP Overwrite" was unchecked. When I checked it, nothing changed in the Code Plug to allow me to enter the NTP address.

When viewing Manager/NTP Definition,, Quantar 1 has no entries, but both quantar 2 and 3 have entries, but none in the IP range I am using. I am wondering if I should delete them all?????

When looking at the PSC, the Manager/NTP Definition Screen has several entries in the table, none of them in my IP range. And the NTP server IP address at the bottom is populated, but again, not with IP addresses in the range I am using.

Any suggestions on how to point the Quantars at the PSC for the time, and/or how to add entries to the Manager/NTP Definition?

Last edited:
OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Does the Quantar reboot when the control channel stops transmitting?

I'd be curious what the Quantar log files show, but I can't remember if they get cleared out on reboot. Maybe try and have CSS open and connected to the CC Quantar with the Status Panel screen open while it's transmitting and watch for what turns red. Also, connect your PC's serial port to the Quantar's serial port and run PuTTY or similar (19200 baud) and see if it spits out any serial data messages when it stops transmitting.
Yes, it appears to reboot.

Attached are the various logs I was able to grab.

Attachments

• PSC - Crash Log.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Rptr 1 - crash log.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Rptr 1 - Serial Crash Log.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Received the managed switch (Cisco 2940) set all the ports for 10m half duplex, and still crashed. Set the port for the PSC to 100m full duplex, still crashes. But, I did wireshark the network with a buddy. There is some weird, to us, stuff going on, but if anyone wants to see it, let me know.

Last edited:

tbiggums

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
You can delete all those entries out of the Manager NTP table on the Quantars. There should be two blanks at the bottom of that screen where you can double click on them and enter two IP addresses of your site controllers, so you'd enter 10.101.1.201 in the first blank and 10.101.1.202 in the second blank. None of the parameters on the Manager/NTP screen are part of the actual "codeplug", and it'll write those IP addresses to the Quantar right after you enter them, so make sure you've got an ethernet connection established when you do. You can probably set those without even reading the station first.

What version are you running in the Quantars? I thought it was SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1, but the one log indicated SiteRptrBR_R07.G4.002, which might be too new for a Quantar, or at least too new to be paired with the PSC version.

I think you might need a newer version for the site controllers.

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
You can delete all those entries out of the Manager NTP table on the Quantars. There should be two blanks at the bottom of that screen where you can double click on them and enter two IP addresses of your site controllers, so you'd enter 10.101.1.201 in the first blank and 10.101.1.202 in the second blank. None of the parameters on the Manager/NTP screen are part of the actual "codeplug", and it'll write those IP addresses to the Quantar right after you enter them, so make sure you've got an ethernet connection established when you do. You can probably set those without even reading the station first.

What version are you running in the Quantars? I thought it was SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1, but the one log indicated SiteRptrBR_R07.G4.002, which might be too new for a Quantar, or at least too new to be paired with the PSC version.

I think you might need a newer version for the site controllers.
Deleted the entries, and was finally able to enter the IP address in the NTP table. The way I did that was by deleting everything, rebooting, entering the time date screen, and making sure that NTP override was checked, then rebooted, then started the PSC, waited for it to come up, then crash. Waited for the reboot, then accessed the NTP table, it gave an error that it could "Not obtain data for the NTP table" Clicked through that, and finally, I was able to enter the IPs. Then, another reboot. HOWEVER, it still crashed.

My belief is that all the Quantars are running SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1. I don't see any reference to R07.G4.002 in the logs, but may have missed it. I checked with SWDL, and found the following:

Q1 Bank 1-SiteRptrBR_R06.8X.039 Bank 2- SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1
Q2 Bank 1-SiteRptrBR_R07.14.085_V1 Bank 2- SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1
Q3 Bank 1-SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1 Bank 2- SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1

Bank 2 is "in use" for all Quantars. Do you think I should try and uplift Bank 1 in the machines to SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1 ? I don't think I have any newer controller versions, nor anything higher than SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1

I have two spare SCMs, one with SiteRptrBR 07.DX.103_P2_V1 in both banks, and one with R06.8X.035 in bank 1, and R06.5X.012 in bank 2.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

tbiggums

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
So I dug through some old files I had, and I'm pretty sure PSC_R06.96.126 is the last version they made for the PSC9600's, and they used it for at least Astro versions 7.13-7.16, so I think you're good with that version. But maybe it doesn't hurt to have the PSC_R06.96.125 in the other bank, and possibly try using it once.

For the Quantar's, it doesn't matter if you're running software out of Bank 1 or Bank 2, but it needs to be consistent for all the Quantars. Maybe try and get SiteRptrBR_R07.14.085_V1 in Bank 1 on all of them, and see what they do with running that. If they're all running Bank 2 now, a SWDL site mode "transfer only" of SiteRptrBR_R07.14.085_V1 should do get it in there, and then you can do the "install only" if you want to switch all of them to that version/bank at once.

If you still have trouble, I'd try a few SWDL site mode "transfer and install" operations on the Quantars with SiteRptrBR 07.BX.122_P2_V1 or SiteRptrBR 07.9X.066_V1 just to overwrite what's in there and "start fresh" so to speak. Hopefully after one or two of those, the SWDL site mode screen should show all greeen "Success" indications across the top and no "Mismatch".

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
So I dug through some old files I had, and I'm pretty sure PSC_R06.96.126 is the last version they made for the PSC9600's, and they used it for at least Astro versions 7.13-7.16, so I think you're good with that version. But maybe it doesn't hurt to have the PSC_R06.96.125 in the other bank, and possibly try using it once.

For the Quantar's, it doesn't matter if you're running software out of Bank 1 or Bank 2, but it needs to be consistent for all the Quantars. Maybe try and get SiteRptrBR_R07.14.085_V1 in Bank 1 on all of them, and see what they do with running that. If they're all running Bank 2 now, a SWDL site mode "transfer only" of SiteRptrBR_R07.14.085_V1 should do get it in there, and then you can do the "install only" if you want to switch all of them to that version/bank at once.

If you still have trouble, I'd try a few SWDL site mode "transfer and install" operations on the Quantars with SiteRptrBR 07.BX.122_P2_V1 or SiteRptrBR 07.9X.066_V1 just to overwrite what's in there and "start fresh" so to speak. Hopefully after one or two of those, the SWDL site mode screen should show all greeen "Success" indications across the top and no "Mismatch".
Before I do the above, do I have to worry about changes to the Code Plugs in the units?

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
So, "installed" .125 on the PSC, and it crashed with 07.DX in the Quantars (All Bank2.) Installed R07.14.085_V1 into bank 1 of all the Quantars, and with .125 it crashed, and with .126, it crashed. Tried to do a site SWDL, but the secondary PSC is tripping a fault. I will try and figure out why it is faulting, and fix it, and try again tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I was finally able to do a site wide SWDL session, and with 7.14 and 7.DX in the quantars, and both .125 or .126 in the PSCs, it throws a mismatch. I decided to put 7.7x into the Quantars, but no matter what I try loading and/or installing (including 7.8x) SWDL errors out, whether trying in site mode or single device mode. I have tried with CSS/SWDL 7.14 and I think 6.9. I wonder if there is a "flashzap" type mode I can put the Quantars in to allow me to SWDL in 7.7 or 7.8.

tbiggums

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Can you post the codeplugs from the Quantars and PSC's along with what CSS version you used?

Quantar 1 at least doesn't really like the software - "Running Incompatible Software...Not starting application" was the last thing that came out the serial port.

Does the PSC9600 reboot unexpectedly, or is it just the Quantars?

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Sure, here you go. Mostly using CSS/SWDL 7.13. On occasion I use CSS/SWDL 7.7. I did notice for the first time today when saving the code plugs, that the PSC claim thay are using code plug version A6.9, while the Quantars are at A6.8. But, I can't find an option to upgrade the code plug versions, but also not really sure I need to.

Attachments

• Quantar.zip
    651 KB · Views: 0