Sirio WD140-N VHF antenna review.

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Hi,
Since there isn't much information about those Sirio antennas (Made in Italy), I'd figured that for a 100 bucks it was worth the risk to try one... so today we installed one of those WD140 dipole antennas in the main mast, replacing the "fakegainer" Hustler G7.

First thing I noticed is how small the antenna actually is, when you've dealt with all kinds of 14 footer POS fishing poles like the Diamond F23, the Hustler G7 or the XNA-510, et. all... this thing is a breeze to handle. In addition to being small, this antenna can also be phased with other WD140 dipoles, as specified in the instruction sheet... but this brief review is just for a single dipole (no array).

Once installed and mast raised, on the VNA the antenna showed a pretty flat bandwidth (as one would expect, right?) peaking at 149.800 Mhz, reading a 50ohms sharp, 0 deg, and -32 dBm RL... No tuning, I was impressed. Most of the 148-151 VHF range is well within 49-51 Ohm impedance, and RL is in the mid high 20s dB for most of the advertised frequency range, and well within 90 degree of phase. For an antenna with a specified frequency range from 140 to 160 Mhz, the fact that is actually peaking at 149.8 Mhz seems (to me) like a miracle... so, pretty darn good IMO. Again, most antennas I've tried make a lot of claims, or a specific frequency range, etc, only to find the actual frequency peak to be somewhere in another band... as in: garbage.

As for the gain, the specification sheet claims around 1.15 dBd gain, which seems well within reality for a single element dipole.

Now onto the real world performance: So, after guying the mast, etc, we had a chance to test it with one of the delivery cars, and the WD140 completely destroyed the Hustler G7, as in: it wasn't even fair. Placed at the same height, the same mast, the same cable (FSJ4 Heliax 1/2 with N), with the same everything, the areas that were spotty at best on the G7 were now crystal clear audio with the WD140, on both DMR and FM!!

Best of all was that this antenna required NO tuning (woohoo), and installation was a breeze, too. Having to deal with antennas like the G7 which required adjusting length or cutting stuff, and being a lot harder to handle around (14 foot fishing pole, etc... this thing was a welcome sight.

I will be getting a 2nd dipole and phasing them together... but so far, for a 100 dollar simple antenna, I think its a winner...

G.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Here is a picture of the WD140 antenna installed atop the mast.
1626796492684.png

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Just got a 2nd WD140 dipole, will report back once I have the two phased and running.

G.