• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Spectra Mode Names Unavailabe - Why?

WB6NVH

Contributing Member
I tried this question over on BatLabs but there was only the sound of crickets.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am just now dealing with the learning curve on old analog Spectras, having not used them before. In programming a VHF A5 dash mount Spectra for a local ham I noticed the channel (mode) names were just 1, 2, 3 etc. rather than alpha-numeric as on all the other Spectras I have. In the RSS, there is no place to type in the mode name on the menu page for any mode, and in the radio-wide options it says "Mode Names Unavailable" and you can't select that category to change it. But only on this radio. On all others I have, mode names can be written as expected.

This radio is a D43KMA7JA5BK, and the RSS in use is Ver. R06.00.05 from 3/6/1993. Standard old DOS laptop, Moto RIB box and cables.

The RSS has the mode name function available on all the other Spectras I have, it just won't let me do it with this one radio. I am guessing there is something in the radio firmware that tells the RSS to lock out mode names. Is there any way to turn on the mode names, on this model, or were some just made like this where you can't? The RSS doesn't allow you to select anything to do with mode names on this radio, the category can't be selected. On other DxxKMA7JA5BK radios, it can. If it can't be altered, it doesn't look like you can tell which mode names option you have by the model number on the ID sticker.

Geoff
WB6NVH
Monterey CA

kd5ual

Contributing Member
when you power the radio push the home button 5 times to see what the radio says it is and what firmware it has.
I think you have an A3 not A5.
if it is an A3 you will need to replace the MLM Board to get your Mode names

OP
W

WB6NVH

Contributing Member
Well, doing that I get a display that says "Service." Using the mode switch from there, it gives me the radio serial number which matches the tag, then says "Ver 212," and goes to some further selections including "Radio," "Phone," MSG," "TST Freq" and so on. I don't see anything that would indicate A3 or A5. The RSS brings up the radio as an A5 but I suppose that doesn't mean someone didn't mess with an A3 MLM with Lab RSS and put that in there,

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
You will have to look at the flags with a hex editor and see what is going on. It does sound like something that has been bitbanged incorrectly for the control that it is mated to.

OP
W

WB6NVH

Contributing Member
Hi Charles! Yeah, I figured that would be the answer. Further evidence is that this one had the dual DB connector face panel on it for a remopte head rather than a front mount A5 head (although an A3 only has one connector, no?) and two others just like it are missing the MLM boards altogether.

Geoff
WB6NVH
Monterey CA

kd5ual

Contributing Member
To make the swap from a A3 HHCH to a display type radio you need to swap out the MLM, either with a new one or a used one. The A3 HHCH MLM doesn't have all the logic chips that the others have.
If it's a new board, initialize it and dump your file that you want it to be into it. If the board is used you will need a copy of xxx and change the serial # inside the MLM to match the command board, then dump your file into it that you want.
If you are lucky enough to have a late version of xxx it will have a field called "moflag" with which you can modify the radio without a new codeplug, although you will still need to change out the MLM from the A3 HHCH as it won't support the extra features of the regular display head.

Geoff I may have several nos MLM boards if you are interested send me a pm however Im out of town till Monday

kd5ual

Contributing Member
Geoff
I do have (4) 6.11 MLM new old stock still in factory package
send me a pm with your address and they are yours no charge