• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Struggling to buy

adorsett

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
I’m struggling to spend my money. I’ve been emailing dealers in my state (Maryland) trying to get prices for new gear. No responses at all. I then tried asking a few I found mentioned on here but they won’t quote the APX gear I’m after, they are either focused on local sells for APX or they are only doing TRBO. So I bought a used APX4k single knob online and now I’m trying to buy a license for CPS. I’ve had a case open with Motorola Customer Service for 14 days to establish an account so I can buy a license. Two phone calls to CS later and I’m beginning to think nobody actually works there anymore...

Andrew

c17lvfd

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
I’m in MD as well. Generally speaking it seems unless you’re a company or a county or state agency most of the two way shops don’t want anything to do with you.

Seemingly same with Moto.

what are your trying to do?
Seth

LA_XTS

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
While I've had a MOL account (or whatever they now call it) for two or three decades, it did take a while for it to be processed. Then, the second step of getting the authorization to buy software took more time. However, this seemed just due to their slow administrative procedure and not anything else. I would expect that with COVID the process takes longer.

It is a bit short-sighted for Motorola not to make it easy for individuals to purchase CPS, especially when there are unmentionable sites outside the US that offer the latest versions soon after they are released. Those who want/need CPS but can't get it from Motorola are likely to take this route even if they prefer a legitimate source with support.

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
APX radios are only sold to government and very large enterprise customers, by Manufacturers Representatives or Motorola direct account managers.

Regular dealers/channel partners cannot sell most APX radios without going through an extremely lengthy APB (above price book) request which has like 3 levels of approvals that usually results in a denial or terrible pricing, or the request just sits indefinitely.

Channel account managers (CAMs) just simply aren't going to approve APB requests for 1 or 2 APX radios, and most dealers/channel partners arent going to waste their time requesting it when they know its bound to be rejected.

To be clear, APX radios except the apx1000 ARE NOT in the dealer price pages and cannot be easily quoted by regular dealers/channel partners.

If a dealer is selling you an APX radio with tags, it is likely:

1.) Bought off someone else's contract and registered to that agency (can cause problems later)
2.) A Motorola rental/demo that was never returned
3.) An MR demo unit that is not supposed to be resold

OP
A

adorsett

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Where in Maryland?
Pasadena

It is a bit short-sighted for Motorola not to make it easy for individuals to purchase CPS, especially when there are unmentionable sites outside the US that offer the latest versions soon after they are released.
You are exactly right! My $dayjob is with Cisco and I thought we were hard to buy from, but Motorola is making us look easy. But seriously, they should have an online registration form for at least registering a company. There's no harm in having someone register a business. At Cisco we let anyone create an account and if you want to become a basic Cisco Partner (no special pricing) it's a very simple 15 minute online form. I recently walked a company owner through it one night after dinner. So this is why I'm shocked at how long it's taking, not to mention the fact that I can't ever get contact information for anyone. It's all an anonymous "Customer Service" mailing list. Ironically, Motorola's Fed business is ran out of Columbia MD, about 20 minutes down the road...

APX radios are only sold to government and very large enterprise customers, by Manufacturers Representatives or Motorola direct account managers.

Regular dealers/channel partners cannot sell most APX radios without going through an extremely lengthy APB (above price book) request which has like 3 levels of approvals that usually results in a denial or terrible pricing, or the request just sits indefinitely.
This is extremely helpful! I found it confusing because the Motorola website refers to their Empower Reseller program and there are many resellers out there that list APX radios on their site and have "Request Quote" buttons but they never respond. What Motorola needs now is a "Find your AM" button if they are going to force you to buy direct. But then again I doubt they could even take a payment method other than PO/wire transfer. So that makes buying 1-2 radios direct a non-starter.

Maybe what the world needs is an "Association" with buying power that can garner some attention and preferred pricing... ;)

Thanks!
Andrew

ka8ypy

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Pasadena

You are exactly right! My $dayjob is with Cisco and I thought we were hard to buy from, but Motorola is making us look easy. But seriously, they should have an online registration form for at least registering a company. There's no harm in having someone register a business. At Cisco we let anyone create an account and if you want to become a basic Cisco Partner (no special pricing) it's a very simple 15 minute online form. I recently walked a company owner through it one night after dinner. So this is why I'm shocked at how long it's taking, not to mention the fact that I can't ever get contact information for anyone. It's all an anonymous "Customer Service" mailing list. Ironically, Motorola's Fed business is ran out of Columbia MD, about 20 minutes down the road...
Motorola Fed, won't even talk to state/county customers let alone individuals. Have you tried walking into a Motorola Dealer and asking directly? Teltronic in Beltsville would be a start.

Online is fairly stright forward, but based on what you want and what level you want, it runs anywhere from instant to a month. Software, as mentioned, is an entirely different process.

This is extremely helpful! I found it confusing because the Motorola website refers to their Empower Reseller program and there are many resellers out there that list APX radios on their site and have "Request Quote" buttons but they never respond. What Motorola needs now is a "Find your AM" button if they are going to force you to buy direct. But then again I doubt they could even take a payment method other than PO/wire transfer. So that makes buying 1-2 radios direct a non-starter.

Maybe what the world needs is an "Association" with buying power that can garner some attention and preferred pricing... ;)

Thanks!
Andrew

Just out of curiousity, what are you looking for specifically with regards to APX?

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I forgot to mention, some dealers/channel partners are also MRs, but the MR and Indirect (dealer) side of the businesses are treated completely separate, different MOL profiles, completely different Motorola account numbers, etc etc.

Typically it would be an Elite or Specialty partner that has a higher likelihood of also being an MR

With the MR model, the purchase is still technically "direct", as in payment goes directly to Motorola, and then the MR gets commission after the fact, and the pricing is set by Motorola and any relevant contracts, not the MR. This is unlike the indirect model where the partner purchases the goods and marks them up at their own discretion, and resells them.

sarguy1941

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Our team has purchased a lot of gear from Sunny Communications. Last week he sent an ad with APX stuff. I know one of my members has ordered a VHF/UHF 7000 from him already. Not sure what your looking for but may be worth researching.

OP
A

adorsett

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Just out of curiousity, what are you looking for specifically with regards to APX?
Ok, I know I may get beat up here, but honestly I was eyeing the APX Next. *please don't hit me* In addition, I want to pick up a couple APX900s in a barebones config for handing out to others who won't take care of them. Trying to stay in the APX family and just need a cheap VHF P25 solution. Think something like the SL300 but with P25.

Our team has purchased a lot of gear from Sunny Communications. Last week he sent an ad with APX stuff. I know one of my members has ordered a VHF/UHF 7000 from him already. Not sure what your looking for but may be worth researching.
I have not looked at them, thanks for the recommendation, I'll do some looking at their stuff. Trying to avoid eBay garbage.

From the IPCS days I though Cisco had an account / was a dealer. You may be able to find a contact that can help you internally..
Oh I thought about that, but you'd be surprised at how hard that is to track down. It's like working for the US Government, each business unit drives their own agreements/contacts and generally don't share them nor have a way to communicate out they even exist. Not to mention that when we sold off the IPICS stuff, I believe all the employees went with it. Our IoT guys who generally drove the IPICS sales have all moved on to LoRaWAN and long forgot their RoIP stuff. That said I do bump into the Mot Fed guys every now and then but I never get their contact info as I'm usually focused on the problem I was called to solve.

Anyway, to provide an update. I opened my new account case with Customer Service on Jan 4th, I called again after no response on the 21st and they informed me my account was created on the 20th and they were finalizing the setup. I was able to go in on Sunday and place the order for CPS. Still can't access the learning portal but at least I got somewhere and can program the gear I do have.

Andrew

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
While only APX1000s are in the standard reseller price pages, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting APX900 especially if you're buying several.

Send me a PM if you run into dead ends

rescue161

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Look, unless you are ready to "assume the position," you won't even be considered or given the opportunity to purchase a luxury transceiver.