Temporary ROIP Setup

chanjyj

CS Forums $upporter
I have been approached to set up a link to a very remote site
- This is only meant to be a very temporary setup and not meant to last more than 1 week
- It is ideally a lightweight setup with minimal hardware - it needs to be “field stupid” and “field fixable”.
- Client may re-use the same setup at other remote sites

Major considerations
1. Cost is important
2. Voice quality only needs to be acceptable (good enough to comprehend!)
3. Internet connection at the remote site is via satellite backhaul installed by the network provider. I have no control over this.

I have narrowed down to
1. Roxitek ($300 USD/gateway, $150 for cables)
- Good quality, but will require a dedicated computer
- Probably not idiot proof
2. Solidtronics ($600??? USD/gateway)
- $1200 for 2 units plug-and-play is certainly appealing
- No idea on hardware or sound quality. I’d assume it would last at least a week, which is good enough
3. Vocality/Cubic ($2000/unit, $700 for extras)
- extremely tempting but not within budget

Have I missed anything else off-the-shelf on the market?

phonebuff

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
CS Forums $upporter
So, first off depending on the Satellite connection / capabilities the propagation delay will be your enemy.

I would look at some other options depending on what is on each end, which you did not mention --

JPS - NXU-2A at each end. (end of life so you may find some reasonably priced.)
JPS - RSP-Z2 New version of the NXU.
Telex - IP-223 Like the NXU is also EOL.
Telex - IP-224
RIOS - By Sytechcorp. They have a good rep.
Omnitronics -

If your end points are already IP then maybe just a pair of DCBNet tunnel devices.

I have had okay luck with JPS & Telex over VSat links in the past.

wildberry

Can you use a directional microwave antenna on a trailer mounted boom antenna or is it too remote for that. if you can you can just use that and add a interop node to their system that'll automatically connect when it powers on.

OP
chanjyj

chanjyj

CS Forums $upporter
Can you use a directional microwave antenna on a trailer mounted boom antenna or is it too remote for that. if you can you can just use that and add a interop node to their system that'll automatically connect when it powers on.
Too remote. It’s over 800km away as the crow flies

OP
chanjyj

chanjyj

CS Forums $upporter
So, first off depending on the Satellite connection / capabilities the propagation delay will be your enemy.

I would look at some other options depending on what is on each end, which you did not mention --.

Analog simplex at the remote site, Capacity Plus at the main site.

My understanding is they want a simple voice patch from one TG in the Capacity Plus site to the simplex site, which is simple enough with a donor radio and gateway.

The obstacle is the system needs to be field deployable by their own employees (flying out to set this up is not an option. It’s a 8h round trip drive from the nearest commercial airport).

Compounded by the fact this is only for 7 days, cost is a major barrier. I believe they will scrap the idea if they can’t do it under the $1.5K mark.

For a while I entertained the thought of using PoC radios - but it seems an added unnecessary cost given the client already has their fleet of spare radios.

phonebuff

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
CS Forums $upporter
@chanjyj

What you are describing is the exact use case the NXU was designed for.. Donor Radio --- NXU-2x ----- Network ----- NXU-2x --- Donor Radio.

Lots of app notes and the manual -

https://www.jpsinterop.com/products/nxu-2a-roip-radio-interoperability/

And you should be able to get everything done ahead of time, so it would be a plug and play for the deployment team.

You biggest problem will be getting a set of them to put o the bench and test in a timely manner if you have the two donor radios. But I bet they have a few on the shelf still. (NXU-2B) ..

Good luck -

OP
chanjyj

chanjyj

CS Forums $upporter
I’m having a massive headache finding used units.

Have sent an email off to JPS re pricing of new units and will go from there.

phonebuff

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
CS Forums $upporter
Did you get an answer from JPS or find what you need elsewhere ?

OP
chanjyj

chanjyj

CS Forums $upporter
Costs too high for client, I got tired of their unrealistic budget and advised them to get a managed PoC solution instead.

phonebuff

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
CS Forums $upporter
If the costs of NXU's are ousted the budget then most of the real PoC solutions like Wave and ESChat will probably be as well, but maybe they can / will live with Zello.