Tesla Model 3 install..

SPECIAL_EYE

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Yes and Ford is not a scam company they keep there books good. Notice the[y] never took the bailout in 2008 the other NA motor companies took?

Last edited by a moderator:

Astro Spectra

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
I would actually think the electrical noise would be lower in an EV
Actually, no. A friend with a BMW i3 upset that there was no AM, used 'special tools' to enable AM reception and then found the noise from the electrics made reception impossible. A Telsa M3 owning colleague has substantially worse FM reception compared to my LR2 ICE box confirmed by yet another Tesla owner I know. Both the LR2 and the M3 have in crappy in glass antenna arrangements.

Poor FM reception may not an issue to city dwellers or iPoddy iPhoney users with 4/5G but for those in rural areas served by LPFM and 3G it's a biggy.

reactorpwr

CS Forums $upporter
That makes sense to be honest. Arent those cars 100% not zener electric cars (battery discharge with "gas" pedal, and battery charge while in motion but no "gas pedal" ) thus a big alternator?

Last edited:

Notarola

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
As promised here is the basic run down of the issue I got involved in.

It appears that several harnesses in the vehicle were picking up radiated RF. This RF was being rectified by protective electronics in the vehicle. The result being a higher that normal ghost DC voltage was seen by sensors. This was interpreted by the monitoring computer as a over voltage condition and the vehicle was shut down as a protective measure.

The solution was the installation of RF chokes and grounded plastic encased foil shielding around several cable runs.

As mentioned this was a test vehicle and was intended to uncover this type of issue.

Drbo

I put a UHF DMR rig in a Model 3 not too long ago. Lots of 12V power available from the connector under the rear passenger seat. Up front, VCLEFT is the place to tap for on/off switched power for up to 15A but that may be occupied in newer vehicles by the trailer wiring harness. The center console is fairly easy to remove, too.

There's also a device called a CANserver that you can plug into the car's CAN bus to listen for messages such as gear selection, turn/brake signals, all the usual stuff that emergency vehicle light/siren control systems want to listen for, if you want to put lights in the car. You could program one of the GPIO pins as an output for "ignition sense," if so desired. Even though there's no ignition, but you get the idea.

DM me for deets.

OP
Forts

Forts

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I've been reading a lot in the Tesla forums and it sounds like the functionality of VCLEFT may have been changed with recent software updates. I've also read about people going down into the right footwell too for 'switched' power.

At this point I'm still exploring options for where to even mount the damn control head while remaining minimally invasive. Considering a HHCH at this point for convenience.

Drbo

I've been reading a lot in the Tesla forums and it sounds like the functionality of VCLEFT may have been changed with recent software updates. I've also read about people going down into the right footwell too for 'switched' power.

At this point I'm still exploring options for where to even mount the damn control head while remaining minimally invasive. Considering a HHCH at this point for convenience.
HHCH in the center console where the cell phone holders are. The old cell phone holders were not wireless chargers so I could screw a mic clip right into there. Plus it folds out of sight when you wan to hide it.

OP
Forts

Forts

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Sorry I'm late circling back to this... Finally got things installed and super happy with the results.

Attachments

• 100M.jpg
    100M.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 100M-2.jpg
    100M-2.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 84