• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Thoughts on the IMPRES 2 PMPN4283A?

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I like the fact that it has an LCD to see what these IMPRES batteries are going through... how good are those? Worth getting one?

Thanks in advance.

G.

brett

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
They are definitely nicer than the older larger IMPRES 1 ones with the fan.
Easier to integrate into a foam case or alike.
The display offers quite a bit of available information on the batteries that you can scroll through (capacity rated/current, #cal cycles, voltage, temp, etc.)
You also have the ability to have the charger put the batteries in ship/store modes.

Believe the PMPN4283A part number does not come with the needed power supply. Would order PMPN4284A which includes PS000242A01.

Firmware updates are performed with a micro USB and the MSI Charger Reprogrammer, which is simpler than the process with the previous generation units.
Also, the IMPRES Fleet Management V3.5.0 just dropped support for the CIUs that were used on the IMPRES 1 things, so this new MUC is the go to.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The LCD is certainly the reason why I am looking into it, I need something that doesn't require a computer to operate, even though with a computer you get a bit of extra stuff...

Thanks.

G.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Got the charger for an absolute steal, with the PSU too... It had 1.15 firmware on it. After Brett's post, I figured I'd download fleet management trial, and after mucking with it for a "lil bit" I really liked it... One thing that kinda sucked a bit was the tedious SQL install, but other than that, it seems to work really well. I have 90 days to purchase the full version, so does anyone know how much it costs?

Also, turns out that the LCD on the PMPN4283A works for ALL pockets, not just the first one as I was led to believe by the brochures. You can select which one of the pockets to display via the keypad.

With Fleet Management I was also able to upgrade the MUC to its latest firmware, 1.18, so all in all I am delighted with my purchase. Looks amazing with all 6 XPR7550e charging on it... Wish the SL7550 gang chargers also had the USB and IMPRES funcionality... oh well.

BTW, the non IMPRES Motorola Solutions battery doesn't show on the Fleet Management at all, it doesn't even register its on the pocket where its inserted.

So, the charger is really awesome, and it uses USB too, so no more fancy RJ11 or RJ45, or whatever funky connector someone thought it was the buzz of the day with more devices like the field programmer etc... :)

G.

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
One weakness of the external power supply brick is users seem to manage to mangle the Molex connector end of it, losing/breaking the retaining tab clip. With the former IEC 60320-C13 cord that was an easier cable to swap out.

Also they still seem develop dead charger pockets over time (not sure what they're doing), but unlike the older MUCs which are all independent power supplies/circuit boards inside these are a little bit less modular for repair.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I hear you, not thrilled about the Molex connector (I liked the old MUC connector better), but then I couldn't find the 6 LCD IMPRES MUC for XPR radio/batteries...

Interesting to hear about the pockets going dead. Mine at first came with 4 pockets that would blink red when inserting a battery, at first I thought it was broken, but seeing how dirty everything was, I cleaned every contact with Deoxit and now all pockets work great. It had a few scratches, but nothing that a heat gun wouldn't fix... that is how I fix upholstery on cars, the MUC now looks brand new.

G.

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Maybe if I have time this week I will crack open one of the IMPRES 2 MUCs that have dead pocket(s) and out of warranty - and see what's going on. It's not just bent or corroded pins just from casual visual observation. Some of them just don't ever acknowledge presence of a battery (no LED and if you scroll over with the display/keypad it just says No Battery; or else the other failure mode I see is they will forever fast flash red and never start charging, but if you take that same battery and put it in any other pocket beside it it will work fine.

In the last days of the IMPRES (1) legacy series, occasionally when you ordered a MUC part number with no displays or 1-display (in the left pocket) like a WPLN4212 I have had Motorola substitute the 6-display SKU WPLN4219 for no additional cost due to availability of a discontinued product. Which was a nice bonus. I believe the price per RLN5382 LCD module to retrofit in was about $30-40.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I am certainly interested in hearing what you find out.... maybe its something simple... or some sort of relay/mosfet that is broken, etc...

On mine two pockets needed the pins bent back IIRC, and obviously cleaned, as everything was quite dirty. I suspect the person selling it was writing it off as "damaged", but all 6 pockets work now and report fine on Fleet Mngmnt too... so that is a bonus...

G.