Unity XG-100M stuck after Firmware upgrade

Psynewaves

CS Forums $upporter
Hi all,

I tried to do an upgrade on a Unity XG-100M with the CH100 via the CH USB port. I *may* have loaded the firmware onto the body before the head and the unit was stalled at LOST MRU.
I managed to get the firmware on the Head no problem, but it looks like the radio has had an issue with not being able to communicate to the head during the burn process.
I used a serial cable to talk to the unit and tried to load the XG100M.cmp file that way and the unit gets to 67% and seems to stop updating and the display just shows:

MRU IN BURNAPP MODE
READY MBAPP P9.04

The firmware I tried to load is labelled: XLP6A23.

I can get some responses in hyperterminal if i reboot the unit and wait a sec for the thing to come back - but I cant seem to get the .cmp file to go on.

I have RPM ver R10 and ver R14

I'm pretty new to Harris gear, not new to modern radios though - I currently work as a field radio technician maintaining a Motorola P25 Phase 2 system with a fleet of about 3500+ APX units. I was a bench tech for 8 or so years prior, and have worked for Moto/Tait/Hytera/GME/Icom dealers. I have contributed to many forums RE those units. Most radios I've had someone to bounce knowledge with - but not these bits of kit....

If anyone can shed some light and help a brother out, It would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Have you tried connecting to the serial port on the rear of the radio itself and re-loading the firmware that way?

OP
Psynewaves

Psynewaves

CS Forums $upporter
Indeed I have,
As mentioned above I tried to load the .cmp file on with the serial cable, but it stops loading at 67% and gives me a CRC error.

rescue161

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
One of the guys here blew CH721 firmware into a CH100 and pretty much killed it. I spoke with Arnie at TAC and he helped me fix it. He said it would be easier if the CH100 was a remote head, but that we could still force the firmware by jumpering two pins on the 44 pin connector if it was a dash mount radio. It was dash, so we jumpers those pins and then we were able to communicate with the control head via PuTTY. The problem is that was Arnie's last day (he retired) and I cannot remember which pins needed to be jumpered.

OP
Psynewaves

Psynewaves

CS Forums $upporter
Interesting... I wonder what pins they are.
This unit is a CH100 remote head, and the Firmware for the head appears to be fine. It went on OK, the file was was labelled as CH100 Firmware, and I can see it when I connect the USB, I just cant see the body beyond the head, and I can't seem to get the matching firmware onto the body via the serial interface.
I did a bit of digging, and it seems that the XLP6A23 Firmware that I used may be for RPM2, not RPM ver 10 or 14... which seems likely, I suppose. Motos can be picky with version matching, Taits are much, much more forgiving.
I can't seem to find the original ver 2.0.7 or 2.0.6 ish (The head and body were slightly different versions)

rescue161

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
We only have CH721 heads on our (except for the one in our office). My coworker killed another one by loading R05C04 with RPM. That was when we were told by Harris not to use RPM to load firmware onto the XG100M and to only use RPM2. I load R06K07 all the time with RPM and have never had an issue. As far as the jumper goes, the guy at TAC asked me if I had a paper clip. I busted out laughing, because I thought he was joking, but he was serious. I wish I could be more help, but I wanted to let you know that it is possible to fix them. Ever since Arnie left, we just get the "just send it in, here is the RMA" answer.

OP
Psynewaves

Psynewaves

CS Forums $upporter
Ok, so you gave me something to work on there... It seems the version of Firmware that I tried to load on is DEFINITELY RPM2 vintage, and in hindsight, I probably should not have tried to load it... It originally come with 2.0.27 but I can't seem to find any older copies of firmware on our server other than the XLP6A23 Folder, and I didnt realise that it was such a leap in versions. I have a Legitimate version of RPM10 with a valid serial issued to my old dying computer... but I just cant seem to get the software to talk to the radio. MRU error keeps showing up. I think without the original firmware, or a version that actually works with RPM10 - none of which I can find on our server - I may have a brick on my desk, which is a total shame. I really wanted to learn a bit more about this platform.

orangekitty56

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Ok, so you gave me something to work on there... It seems the version of Firmware that I tried to load on is DEFINITELY RPM2 vintage, and in hindsight, I probably should not have tried to load it... It originally come with 2.0.27 but I can't seem to find any older copies of firmware on our server other than the XLP6A23 Folder, and I didnt realise that it was such a leap in versions. I have a Legitimate version of RPM10 with a valid serial issued to my old dying computer... but I just cant seem to get the software to talk to the radio. MRU error keeps showing up. I think without the original firmware, or a version that actually works with RPM10 - none of which I can find on our server - I may have a brick on my desk, which is a total shame. I really wanted to learn a bit more about this platform.
Sorry a bit late to this party, you definitely need RPM2 to have a chance at recovering this radio on your own. RPM10 only supports to XGP2, and you are way beyond that point. After that you need RPM11 or newer. You still could send it into TAC for repair, but see my above post.

Reactions: ndp
OP
Psynewaves

Psynewaves

CS Forums $upporter
I do have RPM14 also, but have not had any luck getting the .cmp file to write onto the torso.
Is it not possible to burn the original firmware back onto the unit if I can get hold of that?
Also, after a bit more research (which I clearly should have done first) it seems there is more than just a .dss file for the head and a .cmp file for the body. There is BurnApp and Boot files also to go onto the unit as well, kind of like Tait radios with Body, Head & DSP files that all need to match.