Using a W3 HHCH with XTL5000, audio issues

dwoc

I'm experimenting in my free time with a W3 handheld control head and an XTL5000 mobile with an O3/O5 TIB installed. I was surprised to find that you can just slap a W3 codeplug in the radio and it will "just work", as pointed out in some other posts buried here. However, what I've found is that there is no TX audio from the control head.

From what I have understood in the service manuals, it looks like the signals MIC_HI==AUX_MIC (converting from Spectra to XTL), and it should work if I set the "Aux PTT Audio Source" setting in the CPS to "AUX_MIC". I made my own adapter for the control head to move the MIC_HI pin (pin 12) over to the AUX_MIC pin on the TIB (Pin 15). Two problems I ran into:
  • Pin 15 on the TIB (J600) is likely set as VIPOUT_1, not AUX_MIC (according to the service manual, it could be either)
  • The HHCH doesn't have a dedicated PTT line. It looks like it does PTT over the SB9600 bus? Since it's not pulling AUX_PTT (pin 1 on J600) low, the radio is not pulling audio from AUX_MIC
I tested out by jumping the MIC_HI line over to J700 (the GCAI port), to the AUX_TX pin there, and manually activating PTT by jumping the AUX_PTT line there to GND with a wire, still no TX audio.
I'm thinking I may be mis-understanding the service manual. does the mic audio line on the W3 HHCH translate to any accessory pin on an O-series XTL TIB?

MTS2000DES

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
You need a "special" W3 TIB for the W3 head to work properly with the XTL5K. Anything else is a time wasting exercise equivalent to pissing into a fan.

axel

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I just recently did the needed mods to allow a standard odyssey TIB to work with a W3 HHCH. No special programming is necessary, it's just a matter of jumpering the right signal so that mic audio is properly passed to the radio. I was going to do a wiki entry on it but never got around to writing everything up. I'll try and do that this afternoon.

Caveat to this mod is that the normal power control of the radio using the W3 power button doesn't work. The radio will always be on whenever +12V is applied, so you'll have to run through an ignition relay if you want ignition switched power.

OP
D

dwoc

Thank you for referencing your post! I probably would not have made this post had I found it, hopefully between our posts there are enough keywords that others can in the future :)

I made that mod (moving the jumpers) and it worked like a charm! my W3 head works perfectly now, with no other modifications needed. If you can believe it, I was using the PM1500 DSM to work my way back from the brick to find which pin was MIC HI, and used a DMM to find those pads, but since I didn't know which jumper was which, I was going to unsolder pin 12 from the PCB, isolate it from the via, and run a jumper wire to one of the pads. Your method is WAY easier.

How are you going about programming your radios? I found that the CAN and GCAI ports stopped working once I put the W3 codeplug in, so for my high power brick I went and acquired an HKN6122 RS232 cable to program via the J600 port. Probably could have made my own (since there's no translation, there's just serial pins right in there), but I was feeling lazy.

I have a mid power I was planning on doing this to as well. One difference, is that the mid power does not "just turn on" like the high power does, and ignores ignition sense on J2 (rear accessory), but that is solved by jumping the emergency (EMG) pin to GND on either J600 or J2 to force power up.

If I may ask, did you get that board layout from a service manual? I was not able to find it in any of the XTL or PM1500 manuals, basic or detailed, that I have access to.

axel

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I believe we have service manuals on this site, however they may be restricted to supporters. If you search for XTL5000 Odyssey DSM you should be able to find the detailed service manual I was referencing.

In my case, I control power to the radio through a relay on the +12V line. I don't believe there's any easy way to get normal ignition sense behavior with this "hacked" W3 setup. Same goes for the power button on the head itself.

OP
D

dwoc

Thanks for the clarification on powering the radio. Do you have the document number for the DSM? I'm working for a Big M sales partner, we have access to many DSM's on MOL, but maybe not everything since we're not a service shop yet? I can check the doc# against what I have.

axel

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
6816879H01-A is what I've got

OP
D

dwoc

Thank you! I was able to find it. This will be useful in the future.