Virginia Statewide Radio System Only Has One Bidder

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
What the heck is Harris complaining about? I know reporters are clueless when it comes to technical matters, especially when it comes to communications equipment, (such as this gem "L3Harris has pointed specifically to repeaters, the radio equipment installed in troopers’ vehicles that connects their in-car and portable radios to the wireless network.") but what Harris equipment won't work on a P25 system, even one with Motorola infrastructure?

Abmain

Contributing Member
Are they referring to the Motorola/Futurecom vehicular repeaters? Harris portables will work with the DVRs, but only with reduced functionality.

Regardless of how the RFP is written, it doesn't cost much to attend a mandatory pre-bid meeting and your chances of winning go to zero if you don't, so there's no excuse for passing that up. At a minimum, Harris should have attended to gather information.

MTS2000DES

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Seen this before. Our system first went out to bid in 2013. Harris and MSI bid. There was an issue with the RFP. It was retracted and corrected and put out again. Harris chose not to re-bid then complained about it. Not bidding is like not voting then whining your guy didn't get the seat.

clbsquared

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
There's a substantial amount of encryption with STARS. Not that it makes any difference here. There is also a lot more to this Phase 5 roll out than just swapping radios and repeaters. None of which Harris couldn't provide, however it could prove to be difficult and cost prohibitive for Harris. Still, Harris made their bed by not bidding. I'll see if I can find the documents and post them.

hambone

Contributing Member
What's worse, what happened in this case in Virginia, or an agency determining itself that Motorola is a sole source for a new system?