• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

VISAR Power Fuse

Status

BobbyBoucher

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Does anyone know what value the smt fuse is for a VHF visar.
The fuse is the one just off of the positive power pin.
Bob

Alpha

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
It's most likely 4-5A, that's what earlier portables used. The radio will draw about 1.5-2 under normal use, so they build in a fudge factor.

OP
BobbyBoucher

BobbyBoucher

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Thanks Alpha.
I found one for a MTX8000 that I had in my totes full of old Moto stuff. Radio transmits now, beeps come through the speaker when they should, but no receive audio. I guess I'll save it for a cold winter day.

Alpha

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
Check the front case where the circuit board is held in place by a metal sliding clip. If the board isn't held very tightly against the flex that goes to the speaker and volume control under the PCB, you'll lose audio. You can also put in some polyurethane foam between the front PCB and the metal RF shields to keep the pressure on the PCB when the radio is closed up. This is a frequent problem, the plastic posts the clip attach to become worn or bent and the clip doesn't provide the pressure it needs to.

Oops, just noticed you said you're getting beeps but no RX audio. That's not good, that more likely means problems with the RF deck or the flex between the controller and the RF board. Ugh. Get your O'Scope out...

OP
BobbyBoucher

BobbyBoucher

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
This radio looked like it had been in a mud puddle or something. It does beep when changing channels and on power up. I will check the spots you suggested. I have a bad habit of trying to fix broken radios. My next project is going to be to try to make 1 Minitor 3 from 3 junk box units. I guess I need a new hobby.

OP
BobbyBoucher

BobbyBoucher

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Does anyone have a service manual for the VHF Visar?

Status