What happened to P25NX?

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
What kind of Kenwood radio made in the last decade doesn't have DPL?

What, exactly is the point of linking every damn repeater in the world together? Build a system for your local area with PRIVATE MICROWAVE and stay off the Interwebz. The first time the web crashes from an EMP or DDOS attack, there goes that connection to Zimbabwe.

OP
Mars

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Wodie, I have found that small, regional systems, locked down with encryption/RAS are the only way to go these days. Wide area linking, wide open systems and dealing with what has become ham radio, is of no interest to me any longer. I am embarrassed to be associated with those people. They're nothing but a bunch of gossipper stalkers and prepper freaks.

The old guys are stuck on analog FM carrier squelch, and have no interest in learning anything new. There are always exceptions to the rule, but these have been my observations over the last decade. I'm so done with what was traditional amateur radio.

With encryption, small groups of like-minded radio amateurs can still enjoy the hobby, without the increase in noise floor.

Viper1-6

Prolific Contributor
Ex

What, exactly is the point of linking every damn repeater in the world together? Build a system for your local area with PRIVATE MICROWAVE and stay off the Interwebz. The first time the web crashes from an EMP or DDOS attack, there goes that connection to Zimbabwe.
Exactly. It's OF hams stuck on using their IC-2AT or some other junk from the 80's that's never been aligned.

Lock it down, encrypt it, and keep your circle small.
Post automatically merged:

About a month ago a ham told me to change the DPL tone to TPL on my UHF repeater so he can use it with his Kenwood radio. I just said “yes I will do it next Friday, thank you for your advise”.
Mars, RAS is so nice for DMR, but if you want to connect with BM or DMR+ you can’t because you have to program your repeater as peer. If you want to use a C-Bridge, BM Mexico do not allow them. So what is the point of hams trying to link every system if in the end the “admins” want to rule what is allowed and what not.
All the more reason to not join BM.

Viper1-6

Prolific Contributor

Decade? Probably closer to 20 years now.

Viper1-6

Prolific Contributor
What, exactly is the point of linking every damn repeater in the world together?
This is the part I can't wrap my head around.

Especially with static talk groups/static timeslots.

Hell just hearing the low intelligence Baofeng/Retvis crowd calling CQ is enough to never want to use anything other than the local TalkGroup on DMR-MARC. I can't even remember the last time I PTT'd on DMR-MARC, and I've never PTT'd on BM.

All the hamsters are worried about adding every assigned RID to their contact list, and I can't even be bothered tAdadd just the Alberta users. Zero fucks given. The ham-cram/prepper/low intelligence hamsters are just annoying. As soon as these idiots say "my Baofeng works great" I tune out.

Call me elitist, IDGAF.

Give me RAS and full time encryption all day long. Less stupid that way.

OP
Mars

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I think the reason the dumb fuck hams like BrandMeister so much, is they can "check in" to "international nets". Except the problem is, when they check in, all they do is say their call sign, it gets recorded, and then the repeater is tied up for 3 hours at a time.

I don't understand the purpose of nets where the only activity is "checking in". I didn't spend huge money on my radio gear over the last 27 years just so I could press the transmit button once per week, and make a one second transmission with my call sign.

I don't mind a net where the mic gets passed around and people talk about something meaningful, besides the weather or what kind of radio they are using. If some stupid ham wants to listen to a net, where people are just randomly saying their station callsign, they can go buy their own hotspot and not tie up the club repeater(s). There are far better ways to regionally link repeaters, than use brandmeister. At least do it the Motorola IP site connect way, to preserve RDAC and other functions.

The only trouble is linking repeaters besides Motorola. Like a mix of Motorola and Hytera. This is where brandmeister comes in useful, but I know there's got to be a better way.

Most hams are extremely boring, dull, incapable people. "Program it for me, build it for me, give it to me for free, solder it for me, and I don't want to learn anything else."

WQNV648

Prolific Contributor
Wodie, I have found that small, regional systems, locked down with encryption/RAS are the only way to go these days. Wide area linking, wide open systems and dealing with what has become ham radio, is of no interest to me any longer. I am embarrassed to be associated with those people. They're nothing but a bunch of gossipper stalkers and prepper freaks.

The old guys are stuck on analog FM carrier squelch, and have no interest in learning anything new. There are always exceptions to the rule, but these have been my observations over the last decade. I'm so done with what was traditional amateur radio.

With encryption, small groups of like-minded radio amateurs can still enjoy the hobby, without the increase in noise floor.

I'm apart of this: SARDMR and its a regional system like you describe with a focused resource for SAR here in Oregon that actually does work quite well for SAR missions. Private MMDVM server.

SwissMoto

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
About a month ago a ham told me to change the DPL tone to TPL on my UHF repeater so he can use it with his Kenwood radio. I just said “yes I will do it next Friday, thank you for your advise”.
Mars, RAS is so nice for DMR, but if you want to connect with BM or DMR+ you can’t because you have to program your repeater as peer. If you want to use a C-Bridge, BM Mexico do not allow them. So what is the point of hams trying to link every system if in the end the “admins” want to rule what is allowed and what not.
DMR+ Repeaters can be programmed as masters so RAS is an option. The Net is now called IPSC2 and quite popular.
Unfortunately encryption modes other then basic have not been implemented yet.

Wodie

Contributing Member
Thanks for the update SwissMoto, I been told by the DMR+/IPSC2 administrator that I can only link a Moto repeater as Peer to their system as their server is the Master. Again, seems like the system “admins” wan users to go only the way they want, so they have full control. Hams that want to rule other hams.
Hams want to tie every system together, but only if they are the governor, no matter if it is done right or wrong, as it is in their absolute control and credit. If someone else want to make it and they do not have the control and credit for it, they make a drama to disable such link using arguments as their 30 or 40 years of experience in HF and building their own antennas. One of their bright ideas was to link repeaters nation wide, all using the same frequency and tone, so no need to program many channels and being able to communicate during emergencies nation wide. A recent update to that idea, from a different hams group was to link repeaters using VHF or UHF radios or setting cross-band repeaters linking them together reversing the up/down frequencies. They were looking to invite almost every good coverage repeater owner, not to mention he have to grant full repeater control to the “admins” If he want to join. The must funny part was that on their first meeting, the first thing in the day order was “how to fire hams from using the repeaters network“ they want them to go simplex or find another repeater, even in cities that do not have any other repeater.

AMBE+2

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
I simply don't associate with these fucksticks. Everyone I know that's ham from now to 30 years is/was LMR, microwave or IT professional tech/engineer with a few fed/public safety types thrown in. We're not overweight, mentally unstable and we married attractive women. We don't associate with the colonoscopy crowd, the mouth breathers, the whackers or the preppers. We ridicule them at hamfests at will. They seem to avoid us out of fear and certainly don't show up on ours systems. Funny, all we really talk about is work related RF projects on our system and our future personal RF projects as well.

Brandmeister blows baofeng users greedily.

syntrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
If you log the raw outbound of a Quantar that is connected via V.24/HDLC to P25Link and a call begins from a network-side source, the call goes right into the LDU1/LDU2 for the voice frames but does not start with any HDU to denote the call parameters before the LDUs begin.

Just on the network side, so no 0x60 and 0x61 frames on the HDLC link as you'd see for the HDU from your local repeater?

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Just on the network side, so no 0x60 and 0x61 frames on the HDLC link as you'd see for the HDU from your local repeater?
I will have to do a debug stun packet on the Cisco and try it again to pick out what we're seeing on the serial side. I have only been monitoring over the air outbound as that is what the subscriber unit radio receives.