Wrangler 4-door install

sjxts3000

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Hey folks! Looking for ideas on installing a mobile radio in a Wrangler 4-door (2021 Rubicon).
Radio is an APX6500 VHF midpower in remote config. Current head is an O2, but I'm considering switching to an O3 for space-saving purposes.
Need some ideas on where best to mount the control unit. I'll more than likely go the O3 HHCH option, but if you have photos or ideas for the O2 install, that would be great as well.
Also need ideas on where to best mount the antenna as well as the OEM speaker.
Photos of current APX installs in Wranglers would be great!
Thanks in advance!

scoutcamper

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
My county has one wrangler 4 door for the Sheriffs Office with an APX 7500 in it that was installed by a 3rd party radio shop, I haven't been impressed with the install. Ill grab some pictures next time I see it. They did an O5 remote mount, deck is under the passenger seat, speaker is mounted to the rear of the center console firing audio backwards. The antennas are mounted to the A Pillar, with the 7/8 within about 4 inches of the AM/FM Stereo antenna, and the VHF 1/4 wave on the other side. Neither antenna sweeps great and RF performance has been poor. I have a no ground plane VHF antenna to try for them but they haven't brought it to me(county radio shop) yet.

The Sheriff's Office is purchasing a new 2021 Rubicon now, so I will be watching closely to see if anyone else has options to present here, I will be doing this install myself. I am working to convince them to purchase a roof rack for it that I can place a real ground plane on to get the RF performance where it should be(also nice platform to hang code 3 lights from :cool:)

sarguy1941

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
This isnt the best picture but on my 2021 JK I installed an 8500 with the O3 control head. I spent alot of time determining the best control head. A guy on the Jeep forum used the O7 on the center of the dash with the motorcycle visor over it and it looked slick but wife wouldn't agree to it...so I used the CMC 1" RAM Ball mount in the grab bar handle as I had already used the other mount for my FTM400. There area few companies that make a "grab bar" based plate for the Jeeps. Basically you remove the bolt holding the drivers side grab bar and slide the bracket in between and reassemble. If you only have one O3 then that's probably the best choice. Quick amazon search brings this one up I had used - Areyourshop 75WXT Bracket

PXL_20201221_145817681.jpg

scoutcamper

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
This isnt the best picture but on my 2021 JK I installed an 8500 with the O3 control head. I spent alot of time determining the best control head. A guy on the Jeep forum used the O7 on the center of the dash with the motorcycle visor over it and it looked slick but wife wouldn't agree to it...so I used the CMC 1" RAM Ball mount in the grab bar handle as I had already used the other mount for my FTM400. There area few companies that make a "grab bar" based plate for the Jeeps. Basically you remove the bolt holding the drivers side grab bar and slide the bracket in between and reassemble. If you only have one O3 then that's probably the best choice. Quick amazon search brings this one up I had used - Areyourshop 75WXT Bracket
What antenna did you use for your install and where did you put it? Currently my department doesn't use the tri-band antenna, we use the Motorola multiplexer and break out to antenna per band, we get way better RF Performance that way, and its much harder to break a flexi-whip than the motorola tri band.

Avery Johannssenn

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
We replaced our microwave tech's Expedition with a 4-door Wrangler recently. We used a no-drill bolt-on NMO mount on the A-pillar. Works well enough on our UHF NXDN trunking system.