• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

WTF is this knob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio313

Prolific Contributor
a friends xts2500 from the asia depot... the channel knob and zone knob will not operate independently, they are "stuck" toghter.. is this a legit knob thats stuck or some wild asia thing?

Attachments

• IMG_20130605_225311.jpg
    IMG_20130605_225311.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 353

Alpha

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
LOL. You have a non-knob. That's the filler core inside the knob when the top breaks off. I got a 2500 like that too... :D

As for them moving together then that limits you to three channels? Sounds like someone tried to super-glue it back on and stuck the dials together, maybe?

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
*cough cough*

SERVICE MANUAL.

*cough cough*

That is all.

Number 6

T¹ ÆS Ø - Site Host
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
It's pretty hard to f*** up an XTS2500 that badly unless the tech was a moron. Your friend needs a secure lever, a knob, and a prayer that the housing isn't f***ed up as well. It's an easy fix but the knobs come in a 5 pack. You can find single knobs on eBay but will have to order the secure lever.

OP
radio313

radio313

Prolific Contributor
duh.. wel i got to it. its not the knob.. its the switch. it is defiantly stuck together
i dont see anyway to fix it... ideas?
Looks like ill be ordering the "S500 4085131E04 SWITCH FREQ DUAL FUNCTION" and soldering it in... yikes

Alpha

Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
Ask in the wanted section; I'm sure there's someone with an old POS model I case out there laying around they'll sell cheap...

code352

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I don't mean to be that guy Alpha, but how would a model 1 case help him? The channel switch is soldered right to the uniboard.

Number 6

T¹ ÆS Ø - Site Host
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
I don't mean to be that guy Alpha, but how would a model 1 case help him? The channel switch is soldered right to the uniboard.

Correct. Unlike an XTS3000 or XTS5000, the XTS2500 doesn't have the switches and controls in the housing. The controls are on the board itself and replacement calls for a hot air reworking station.

Alpha

Staff member
CS Forums $upporter

Oops, My bad... I was thinking of a 5000 case in my mind when I wrote that. D'Oh! Never mind... Change "busted-ass case" to "non-working PCB". All good...

Oh, and I think you can replace it with a standard soldering iron, but it's got to be a good one (like a Metcal!) to get the ground plane pins (center ones, IIRC) to flow well.

OP
radio313

radio313

Prolific Contributor
Oops, My bad... I was thinking of a 5000 case in my mind when I wrote that. D'Oh! Never mind... Change "busted-ass case" to "non-working PCB". All good...

Oh, and I think you can replace it with a standard soldering iron, but it's got to be a good one (like a Metcal!) to get the ground plane pins (center ones, IIRC) to flow well.

yeah its defiantly a solder job.. we also noticed that 3 buttons on the keypad did not work. I advised him to contact the seller and see if he can work out a return or refund...
its a panter8888 piece of **** BTW so i dont know how much luck hes gonna have with that :/

Magnus

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I have actually had OK luck with him replacing defective stuff but YMMV.

Alpha

Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
Yeah, me too, he's replaced a couple of defective items in the past with no trouble or issues. His stuff may be dubious, but he's reputable, at least...

Number 6

T¹ ÆS Ø - Site Host
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
That radio doesn't fit the condition of the radios that Lau usually sells. It's more like a non-working parts radio. Ask for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.