XL-95P

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
So we saw the XL-95P go through FCC filings back in March this year as OWD TR-0162-E (with internal and external photos confidential until September), and now it's on L3Harris product catalogue looking like an XG-75P chassis but with the XL series colour display, and a dual use D-Pad with DTMF keypad layout.

I noticed their marketing photograph (looks more like a CGI rendering) doesn't make sense with the accessory connector showing a XL series RSM attached - but the chassis still has the two hooks on top for the traditional P7300/XG series accessories. Also there's a chance they are ditching serial programming in favour of their USB RNDIS/Bonjour mDNS discovery method, the latter is obviously inherently necessary for Wi-Fi based OTAP. I suspect this model will not be pitched or aimed at achieving NFPA 1802 compliance at all (probably leaving that for the XL-400P), so probably targeted more for law/bylaw/transit/utilities markets. Also not clear if the Wi-Fi implementation is only for OTAP (which currently is a button press boot up sequence) or if it will also be for RoIP/BeOn applications, which could be a lower cost solution for fill-in coverage compared to another site or BDA - as long as it is actually as seamless as they claim and does not require user intervention or manual switch-and-reboot into the other operating mode.

I agree with manufacturers bringing more reasonably priced and compact sized models on the market, rather than immediately pushing any mention of P25 automatically into the top tier product range. At least someone is keeping with the traditional portable radio form factor, instead of coming out with phone "phablet" form factors...

phantom

Prolific Contributor
which could be a lower cost solution for fill-in coverage compared to another site or BDA - as long as it is actually as seamless as they claim and does not require user intervention or manual switch-and-reboot into the other operating mode.
They have been struggling to get this feature to work effectively since its inception. In fact, the majority of firmware issues with roaming and site selection have been a result of this technology. I recall Motorola taking a stab at this concept years ago in Colorado with the APX7000 LTE, but also couldn't get a grasp on it.

The concept is great, no doubt. Making the technology work correctly is another story. Just like the Harris (MACOM at the time) NY statewide system was great in concept, they just couldn't make it fly.

Reactions: ndp

TRS

Prolific Contributor
Is this just supposed to be a lower cost option than the XL-185P models?

ndp

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
1620669140333.png

Definitely looks like the older accessory connector. Would concur with the target market being operations/etc. rather than public safety.

OP
T

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Well, judging by that preliminary datasheet excerpt it looks like the LCD graphic has definitely been cut & pasted (and poorly keystone perspective transformed) from an XL 150/185/200P series.

Also I notice the middle softkey label says "Talkabout" ... thought that was a registered trademark of Moto in the context/industry of radio equipment. Or has that protection recently expired?

syntrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
They have been struggling to get this feature to work effectively since its inception. In fact, the majority of firmware issues with roaming and site selection have been a result of this technology. I recall Motorola taking a stab at this concept years ago in Colorado with the APX7000 LTE, but also couldn't get a grasp on it.
No idea about BeOn, but a couple of large agencies in .au use Motorola SmartConnect. I'm told by people who use it that it works well.

Mobile router in the vehicle, which switches between LTE and SATCOM (likely BGAN) when the trunking network is unavailable.

These agencies typically have their people working close to the vehicle, so portables will use the vehicle wifi when in range.

Biggest issue they've had is router config, where the router will switch to SATCOM and stay there even when LTE becomes available again. Works well, but gets expensive fast.

phantom

Prolific Contributor
BeOn as an app on your smart device is OK. A lot of admin folks like it. However, BeOn as a roaming alternative for the radio instead of the LMR system is a mess.

signal703

CS Forums $upporter
The XL-95 uses the same accessories as the XG 15/25/75 series radios. It uses the same software as the XL-185 and 200 series.

It's literally an XL software in an XG case. The top channel selector shows different colors like the XL series.

The serial XG programming cable does not work on the 95. It comes with a new USB cable (which doesn't work on the XG.

signal703

CS Forums $upporter
The XL-95 uses the same accessories as the XG 15/25/75 series radios. It uses the same software as the XL-185 and 200 series.

It's literally an XL software in an XG case. The top channel selector shows different colors like the XL series.

The serial XG programming cable does not work on the 95. It comes with a new USB cable (which doesn't work on the XG.

OP
T

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Do you have the part number for the new USB cable, and also in terms of the audio profiles do they also leverage the XL-series settings - so for example you could have different external microphone gain and ALC presets rather than on XG platform where internal and external mic gain was rolled into one combined setting and there was no AGC or Noise Cancellation available at all when operating in analog/EDACS mode?

Does it come with a default Wi-Fi profile enabled in the factory test personality, so if you configured an access point appropriately then even new out-of-box radios can receive its initial personality and possibly firmware over the air? Do these still need a power-on button sequence to put it into Wi-Fi OTA mode or can it receive it during regular runtime in the background, write to its alternate inactive personality memory space and then switch over on next reboot?

Do all of the existing Li-Ion/Li-Po/Ni-MH batteries dating back to P7300 just clip on and work, or is there any kind of smart communication / authentication to lock out older accessories? (Or am I too used to the antics of a different manufacturer that constnatly pulls this kind of stuff...)
With the enhanced colour display and faster internal processor (still TI OMAP I assume) is the battery runtime still comparable to a 75P?

I also like seeing the support for the long names, finally breaking away from the decades-old 8-character limit from the GE days.

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
But if you want your zone, channel, site, scan list names in lowercase, or with trailing or leading spaces, you would need to upgrade to a non-L3HARRIS radio.

Lowercase characters and trailing and leading spaces require too much processing power for L3HARRIS

OP
T

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Yeah they seem to like the left-justified text now and are actively preventing padding spaces on system and zone names and I-Call aliases so they appear centered on the radio display. It was never like this on ProGrammer or RPM (1).

Also there seems to be no way to make the radio always start up in last selected mixed system zone mode, without either forcing it as a power up option to a fixed specific zone every time it's turned on, or by assigning all the radio buttons to zone up/down/select and removing all system selection buttons and remembering having to scroll over into a zone when it starts up in system #1, and then rebooting the radio so it can store that to variable personality. If there's a better way to do this, or if this behaviour is different on the new XLPs let me know...

I know that's not really the "Harris way" (the concept of the mixed-system zones didn't exist until the XG series & late model M7300), this is a bit of a factor when the fleetmap calls for a couple simplex conventional talkaround/tactical/interoperability channels located at the end of the knob rotation 15/16 positions of what is otherwise a zone full of trunking talkgroups. I know their design philosophy is that trunking and conventional should never mix and should only be accessed by switching systems, but the reality is radio users (regardless of brand name) seem to have issues leaving the first zone/system :rolleyes: so we have to park it in some easily accessible position on the radios.

phantom

Prolific Contributor
...but the reality is radio users (regardless of brand name) seem to have issues leaving the first zone/system :rolleyes: so we have to park it in some easily accessible position on the radios.
Those pesky users. Wanting a conventional channel available in the same zone to quickly spin to in the event system coverage is lost and need to call for help. The nerve of them. :rolleyes:

Reactions: box
OP
T

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Exactly. But for years and years all through GE/Ericsson/MA-Com/Tyco era radios, you were having to switch to a different system entirely - not channel (which on a portable is typically a front panel interaction, not a top knob interaction), and so being able to put a conventional channel available alongside trunking talkgroups is something that other radio manufacturers had resolved long ago, but only relatively recently in the last decade has been implemented in Harris product line.

Perhaps I needed to add a /s at the end of the post?