Zello MotoBridge and CCGW Interface

xts

Long time lurker, first time poster. A couple people have asked me how I build my Zello Gateways using a regular PC (instead of purchasing dedicated RoIP Gateways). Here are the general details for how I interface the PC client to my Motobridges and CCGWs.

MotoBridge:

Cable:
DB25 pins 4+5 (MotoBridge Audio Output) <-----> 3.5mm Jack (PC Mic Input)
DB25 pins 6+7 (MotoBridge Audio Input) <-----> 3.5mm Jack (PC Speaker Output)

Software:
Configure the desired MotoBridge port for 4 Wire E&M. In the Advanced section you’ll want to use VAD for Voice Detection (VOX). You’ll have to play with Discriminator and Modulator here too to adjust your audio levels. I have screenshots below of the settings that work for me which would probably be a good starting point.
On the Zello side of things, open options and enable VOX for handsfree. Again, you’ll have to adjust the VOX sensitivity levels. I’ve attached a screenshot for a starting point. Also adjust the microphone and speaker levels in the Audio section. Once everything is fine tuned, you can patch your Zello resource to any other resource on the MotoBridge.

CCGW:

Cable:
RJ45 pins 3+4 (CCGW Audio Output) <-----> 3.5mm Jack (PC Mic Input)
RJ45 pins 5+6 (CCGW Audio Input) <-----> 3.5mm Jack (PC Speaker Output)

Software:
Similar setup to the MotoBridge, except you are going to interface to an E&M port on the CCGW. Create a conventional resource in PM tied to the E&M port on your CCGW. Name it something like “Zello” (or alternatively Zello-1, 2, 3, etc. if you have multiple gateways). Then you can patch your Zello conventional resource to any other available resource. The only disadvantage here is that you’ll need a console op position dedicated to keeping the patch up, and you won’t be able to patch the tied-up resources from any other console op position (thanks Moto). This solution also uses VOX on both ends, so you’ll have to do some fine tuning similar to the MotoBridge setup.

1613348244701.png

1613348275935.png
1613348296675.png